Hi everyone,
I am a new mammy (well mammy to be) and I am blogging about my life, my pregnancy/parenthood and beauty.
Everything I mention has been bought and paid for by myself (or as a present off family members) unless otherwise stated (so probably everything is bought by me ☺) and all opinions are my own.
If you have aren't queries don't hesitate to get in touch via twitter @sprinkleofpixie or email me at pixiedustandfairylove@gmail.com
💖 xxx

Sunday 16 August 2015

My birth story part 2...active labour

Hi ☺

So when I finished the last post I was going to the birthing centre...

I was taken into room 2 (don't ask me why I remember that!). I was asked to get myself from the wheelchair onto the bed and I thought to myself I can't do that it hurts too much! But the midwife told me once I was on the bed I could have gas and air, and as I hadn't been given pain relief since 9am this convinced me to get on the bed!
I told them I wanted a water birth so they started to fill the bath but as soon as I breathed in the gas I felt the urge to push which I told the midwife. She told me to go with it and push whenever I felt the need to.
After that I lose all sense of time but I remember having to push and the midwife telling me to push into my bum without making a noise as if I made a noise it would mean I wouldn't be pushing properly.
The midwives grew concerned as baby started to get distressed and they asked me to push as hard as I possibly could. The gas and air was making me dizzy but wasn't taking the pain away,but it helped me to keep breathing it as with every push I was saying to myself the next breath will make it hurt less! A doctor came in and told me I would need forceps to help get the baby out as the baby needed to come out immediately!
The forceps really hurt more than anything that had happened up until that point...I can't really describe what it felt like. I could feel where the baby was and could feel a lot of pressure and that doubled when the forceps were used but after a few more pushes all the pressure was suddenly gone.
Hubby cut the cord and was apparently given EmJ to hold but I don't remember this. I was told to lie still while we waited for the afterbirth but after a while (I'm not sure how long) someone realised they hadn't given me an injection they were meant to give me, so they gave me that and the afterbirth came out. I was told I needed stitches as they had cut me and I had also torn, but they forgot to inject me with anaesthetic so I was using the gas and air again to try and help with the pain. Despite everything I had just been through, the stitches hurt me to the point where I was crying! To make matters worse once they were done the doctor said she couldn't find a swab and spent ages looking to see where she could have put it and I was dreading them having to undo the stitches to see if it was inside me but thankfully it didn't come to that!

I don't remember holding EmJ although hubby and my mam took pictures so at some point I must have, but I do remember trying to decide her name and picking one for no reason other than it seemed like I should pick one!
I was told I had lost nearly a litre of blood so was going to be given some fluids, it took them a few attempts to get the cannula in and they needed to take blood but couldn't find any veins in my arms so were trying to take blood from my hand but it was just really painful and they didn't manage to get any.
I was given something to eat but I didn't feel well so only ate a small amount, I told them I didn't feel well but they said that was to be expected.
A nurse came and asked me to get up so she could take me into the shower room but when I sat up I felt really weird, and everything started to go dark like it does before I faint so I told her I thought I was going to faint and wanted to lie back down.  At this point I thought I had lay back down and gone to sleep and when I opened my eyes again hubby and some more nurses were standing over me telling me to keep my eyes open,I was really tired and shut my eyes to go to sleep and hubby shouted at me to stay looking at him. I thought he was just being really horrible seeing as I had been awake since 11pm the night before, but then I was told I had had a fit! They didn't know why I had the fit but they were worried about it so had decided to give me 2 units of blood.
I work in the hospital lab so I know that transfusions can go wrong and people can die and have reactions to the blood etc so I was panicking! But everything went fine and I stayed on labour suite until I had been given both units which took until 2am Friday morning. While I was being transfused my mam told me she had panicked when I was having the fit and thought I was going to die and that hubby had thought the same and had been crying. Apparently when I had sat up and said I felt faint I had just fell backward and hubby gave the baby to my mam and tried to catch me and then I started having the fit and the nurse who was there didn't know what to do so my mam had to run round the bed to press the call button to get the rest of the midwives in.
Another nurse came in and sponged me down down there.
The hand which had the cannula in it swelled up to three times the size of my other hand and it started to hurt where the blood was going in so I asked the midwife if everything was okay, she had a quick look and just said it was fine but sent a senior midwife in. The senior midwife told me to stop being stupid and the blood was flowing fine so obviously nothing was wrong. When they came to change the bag of blood over, they flushed some water through which really hurt and the tube ended up being changed because it felt like there was a blockage to the nurse, which could have been why it was hurting so much apparently as it was being forced through!
I was then transferred to the antenatal/postnatal ward at 2:30am and my mam and hubby were sent home.
💖xx

No comments:

Post a Comment