Hi everyone,
I am a new mammy (well mammy to be) and I am blogging about my life, my pregnancy/parenthood and beauty.
Everything I mention has been bought and paid for by myself (or as a present off family members) unless otherwise stated (so probably everything is bought by me ☺) and all opinions are my own.
If you have aren't queries don't hesitate to get in touch via twitter @sprinkleofpixie or email me at pixiedustandfairylove@gmail.com
💖 xxx

Thursday 6 August 2015

Bathing a newborn

Hi ☺

Before I had EmJ I did a post about newborn essentials for bathing but since I have had her I thought I would update you all on what I do to bath her.

We use the baby bath currently as we don't trust ourselves to put her on a bath support in the big bath incase she slips out of our hands.
we fill the bath to just over a quarter full of warm water (we check the temperature with our elbow) but before we put her in it we use cotton wool to clean her eyes, then her face. We also wash her hair before we put her in the bath as this is how we were shown how to do it by the nurse in the hospital.
Once her hair has been washed we take her nappy off (we have made sure it is clean, if not we change her before we bath her so her lady parts are clean) and hold her in the bath
She hates the bath atm so we splash her a little bit to get her used to the water,which she seems to like as she stops crying for a little bit. We put a tiny amount of Johnsons first wash into the water and use a baby sponge to clean her body. When we have finished washing her we take her out and wrap her in a cuddle and dry towel.
She usually cries at this point but when she has had a bit of a cuddle she calms down. We then massage her using johnsons night time lotion as this calms her down and makes her sleepy while also promoting bonding between us and her. We then dress her in clean sleep suit.

We use the johnsons first wash as it is designed for newborn babies, so we know it won't harm her or irritate her skin as newborns are meant to only be washed in water for a while. We also use this to wash her hair,although we do have a bottle of johnsons first shampoo which is also made specially for newborns.

We are thinking about getting a tummy tub instead of using the bath as apparently babies prefer this as their whole body is in the water and so their whole body is the same temperature, whereas if they are in the bath there bums and legs are warm but their bodies are colder as they aren't in the water. 

How do you bath your little one?

💖 xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment