Hi everyone,
I am a new mammy (well mammy to be) and I am blogging about my life, my pregnancy/parenthood and beauty.
Everything I mention has been bought and paid for by myself (or as a present off family members) unless otherwise stated (so probably everything is bought by me ☺) and all opinions are my own.
If you have aren't queries don't hesitate to get in touch via twitter @sprinkleofpixie or email me at pixiedustandfairylove@gmail.com
💖 xxx

Thursday 6 August 2015

Breastfeeding essentials

Hi ☺

This may seem like a bit of a weird post as really the only 'essential' needed for breastfeeding is breasts! But these are things that make it a better experience for me and therefore probably for baby too.

🍼 a pillow
Holding a baby upto your breast at the correct angle for her to latch on properly takes its toll on my arms so I have found that having a pillow to rest on is so much more comfortable. You can buy proper feeding pillows but I have found that my maternity pillow (which I got from mothercare) works just as well.

🍼 a drink of water
I find that the more EmJ drinks, the more dehydrated I become. I have found that having a bottle or glass of water every time I feed her has made me feel better and more hydrated than before. I would definitely recommend always having a drink at some point close to when you feed as the times when I haven't done this I have felt a bit light headed too which I assume is because of being dehydrated, especially at the beginning when I wasn't used to breastfeeding.

🍼 a little snack
I don't always have a snack but I do tend to feel a bit more energetic after feeding when I do have one. When you think about it it does make sense as baby is taking calories and energy from you whenever you feed so having a snack just helps to keep you topped up! Obviously make it a healthy snack rather than chocolate or something like that!I have found cereal bars or oat bars are the best as they keep me energised for a little while.

🍼 a book
Although I do tend to talk to EmJ when she is feeding to keep her stimulated and let her know that she is loved, sometimes she feeds for about 20 minutes to 40 minutes and she closes her eyes while feeding so instead of sitting bored I keep a book handy. It prevents me from feeling bored and means I am happier about her feeding for longer than if I was bored as I would start to resent her feeding if I had nothing to do. You could watch TV I suppose but I like to keep the TV on mute while feeding so she can focus on what I am saying to her.

🍼 a nursing bra
I don't actually have one but it would be so much easier if I did! There isn't really a reason why I don't have one other than I just haven't got round to buying one so I wear a normal bra which I then have to take off every time I feed. This is awkward when out in public (I don't actually feed in public I go to the toilet or baby changing area and feed there as people tend to complain otherwise ) so u would recommend that if you are going to breastfeed you get a nursing bra.

🍼 a top that buttons up
Again I tend to wear t-shirts or vest tops but I have found that when I do wear a top that buttons up it is a lot easier to feed the baby as I don't have to remove the top completely. However, when I am out in public I do like that when I wear a t-shirt I can use it to cover up my boob easily when feeding just in case anyone does walk in.

So.those are the things that I think make breast feeding a more comfortable and easy experience for both you and baby.

Have you used any of these? What are your essential?

💖xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment