Hi everyone,
I am a new mammy (well mammy to be) and I am blogging about my life, my pregnancy/parenthood and beauty.
Everything I mention has been bought and paid for by myself (or as a present off family members) unless otherwise stated (so probably everything is bought by me ☺) and all opinions are my own.
If you have aren't queries don't hesitate to get in touch via twitter @sprinkleofpixie or email me at pixiedustandfairylove@gmail.com
💖 xxx

Friday 15 May 2015

What I did when I couldn't feel baby move

Hi ☺

As some of you may know (I think I mentioned it on twitter) I had a bit of a scare this week!
On Wednesday I didn't feel the baby move at all from Tuesday night,and at about 11am I was very panicky! If you are pregnant you will know that your baby develops it's own little routine, and mine always kicks and moves about when I first get up on a morning, and doesn't stop until I get to work usually. As baby hadn't done this I was a bit nervous but thought maybe it was just sleeping a bit longer.
So I tried everything I could think of, I had cold drinks, sugary drinks, chocolate, I jiggled about a bit but nothing would make baby move!
I'm not going to lie and say I handled it well because I didn't,  I spoke to someone at work about it (she has 3 kids) and cried a bit fearing the worst and she advised me to ring the antenatal clinic.
I work in a hospital so it was easier for me to ring there than my own doctors, and the lady who answered the phone was lovely and managed to get the nurses on antenatal day unit to agree to see me. I told my boss and he said I could go straight up to the ward.
When I got there I realised I didn't have my notes with me but they were able to find my details easily on the computer. They attached a foetal heart monitor to me (the baby was in an awkward position at first so it took a few minutes to find it) but the relief that I felt was immense when I heard baby's heart! It was then that baby started kicking and I felt a bit stupid for over reacting as obviously baby was fine!
The nurses decided to monitor the baby anyway so strapped the monitor to me and gave me a clicker which I had to press every time I felt the baby move for half an hour. Well, baby decided to take that time to kick me constantly, probably for waking it up!
After half an hour it was decided that baby was fine and had just been feeling a bit lazy that morning. I felt so embarrassed but the nurse reassured me that I had done the right thing and any time you can't feel the baby move for more than a couple of hours it is Natural to worry and you should get it checked out just in case

I would just like to point out that the nurses were the loveliest people I have met so far in relation to my pregnancy and they completely put me at ease.
Everything is fine with the baby now and it moves about every morning again, probably so I don't wake it up with cold monitors again! 😉

I thought I would write this post to encourage anyone who is worried about not feeling baby move to do something about it because sometimes it can be serious, and even if baby is just being lazy the nurses and midwives deal with this every day and won't judge you at all for being over dramatic like I thought they would.

💖xxx

2 comments:

  1. Ah bless you, i had exactly the same thing happen when i was pregnant, felt no movements all day and went in to antenatal ward. As soon as they hooked me up to the monitor she would literally not stop moving, i couldn't believe it! You definitely wasn't being silly at all, it is so important to monitor movements during pregnancy! Glad all is ok now :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't believe when baby wouldn't stop moving after either! Lol but I'm glad I did get checked out as it's better to be safe than sorry.
      I'm also glad that I'm not the only one who did this! Glad everything turned out okay for you ☺xxx

      Delete