Hi everyone,
I am a new mammy (well mammy to be) and I am blogging about my life, my pregnancy/parenthood and beauty.
Everything I mention has been bought and paid for by myself (or as a present off family members) unless otherwise stated (so probably everything is bought by me ☺) and all opinions are my own.
If you have aren't queries don't hesitate to get in touch via twitter @sprinkleofpixie or email me at pixiedustandfairylove@gmail.com
💖 xxx

Wednesday 9 December 2015

Tips for weaning a baby

Before I started to wean baby, I did Google whether it was too early.

My first tip is: never Google anything! There will always be someone who started their baby with food early (but past the 17 weeks mark) and someone will always have a go at them! One post I read told a young first time mother that because she had started weaning her child at 17 weeks, that child would become allergic to everything and have major gastrointestinal problems later in life. Just for the record, this probably won't happen. The reason for 17 weeks is because of the salt and sugar content of food, I was fed from 5 weeks (yes 5!) And I am neither allergic to anything nor do I have any problems at all, my cousin was fed from 6 months and has crohns disease so there you go.

Anyway, after dismissing Google, I spoke to the doctor who told me that baby seemed more than ready for food (especially as she kept trying to eat mine!) And to try her with a small amount of baby rice or porridge.

Tip number 2: always have a bib!
This seems obvious but for some reason I just didn't put one on her the first time we tried her with food, and she didn't spit any out so when I tried her with carrots I didn't put a bib on. Big mistake! She was immediately covered in orange!!

Tip number 3: follow baby's cues
Again this seems obvious but hubby tried to feed baby peas, which she hates, and kept trying to give her them even after she turned her head away and shouted at him! She ended up batting him away with her hand. I know that it takes a few times for baby to like some foods, but once she's had a little bit and decided she doesn't want anymore, don't try and force her.

Tip number 4: don't replace milk with food immediately
Hubby thought that once we tried her with food we could replace one of her milks, but I have found that she actually wants more milk! This is good for her as she wasn't having the 'recommended amount' for her age,but has now upped her milk intake by about 3oz a day. She isn't putting loads of weight on too quickly though she is still healthy!

Tip number 5: try giving water
When you first start giving baby food, they may become constipated a bit. I was told to try boiled water cooled down, but she refused it so we are trying her with Hipp baby water which is flavoured but isn't too bad for the baby. My mam also suggested I try fresh apple juice with cooled boiled water in a 50:50 ratio as apparently this helps.

Tip number 6: raise baby's knees while she poops
If baby still won't have water, and she (or he) is straining to poo, undo her nappy, put your thumbs under the back of her knees and push them up to either side of her tummy. (Obviously not too hard). This helps the bum to open and trust me it makes it easier for the poo to come out! I have had to do this a couple of times (I have spoke to a doctor and they said constipation is common and she isn't distressed or in pain so it's fine) and the poo has come out so much easier! I will say it's a bit disgusting and you may get called weird names by your hubby for basically watching your baby poo while you hold her legs open!

That's all the tips I have for now other than  wait 3 or 4 days between trying new foods in case baby has a reaction.

Hope this helped someone (or maybe not)

Xxx
#fromtheheart

No comments:

Post a Comment