Hi everyone,
I am a new mammy (well mammy to be) and I am blogging about my life, my pregnancy/parenthood and beauty.
Everything I mention has been bought and paid for by myself (or as a present off family members) unless otherwise stated (so probably everything is bought by me ☺) and all opinions are my own.
If you have aren't queries don't hesitate to get in touch via twitter @sprinkleofpixie or email me at pixiedustandfairylove@gmail.com
💖 xxx

Friday 3 July 2015

beauty: comparing foundations #1

Hi

As some of you may know, I have tried a lot of different foundations since I started wearing makeup many years ago. Currently I have 4 foundations on the go, so I thought I would do a post comparing them all.  I will start with the 'drugstore' foundations and then onto the more 'high end' foundation (although it still wasn't too high end!).

Revlon Colorstay foundation for oily/ combination skin in Buff Chamois

I  have recently started using this foundation again, after a two year period of trying different foundations.
Packaging
I actually love this packaging, it is a clear glass bottle so you can see the colour of the product and can see how much you have left. There are two different types of this foundation, one for dry combination skin and one for oily combination skin, and the lids on the two bottles are different. The lid for the oily combination version is a plain black, shiny lid, the dry version has a slightly more upmarket looking lid which is black encased in a clear glass lid.  I think the packaging does look slightly more high end than other foundations which I love!! The only thing I don't like is that it does not come with a pump so I have to pour it onto the back of my hand, which means that it is quite messy and also means that I sometimes pour more out than I intend to which wastes the product a little bit.
Consistency
This foundation is quite thick, and the bottle I have at the moment is a little thicker than what I am used to. I'm not sure if it is just a one off as I don't remember I being as thick previously, but it is quite difficult to get the product out of the bottle and onto the back of my hand, I find myself having to bang the bottle quite hard in order to get anything out of it. The good thing about that is that I am slightly less likely to accidentally pour out too much product, as some foundations I have are quite runny so this is better.  It is actually really easy to blend into the skin though despite being thick, I use the real techniques buffing brush to apply it, and it does give a flawless finish quickly.
Coverage
This is a high coverage foundation which is what I usually go for. It does cover blemishes without the need for concealer in my experience, but it does need a little extra help covering the dark circles under my eyes which I have had lately due to not being able to get comfortable enough to sleep as it is too hot! But, this is to be expected, and doesn't bother me too much.
As it is very hot lately, I haven't wanted such a high coverage foundation (which is weird as I have never wanted anything but high coverage) so I have mixed a small amount of this foundation with my usual moisturiser to try and make a homemade tinted moisturiser which actually worked surprisingly well. It still covered up everything that I wanted covering up, while feeling a lot lighter.
Although I do get the formula for oily skin, I don't feel like it completely stops oily skin from shining through but this is probably just because of the hot weather and the fact that I am pregnant. I will say that the foundation may look a little shiny after 12 hours of wear, but it doesn't slide off like some foundations do.
Shade
As I mentioned before, I get this product in the colour Buff Chamois, which is actually the perfect shade for me when I am not tanned. It is slightly beige with a yellow undertone as I don't like foundations with pink undertones. I'm not sure the exact number of shades available but when I went to Mexico last year I did get a slightly darker shade which matched my tanned skin quite well, and there does seem to be quite a wide range of colours available.
This is also one of the only foundations that doesn't seem to oxidise and go a bit orange after a while which is great.
Price
I think this is about £12-£14 but in Boots there always seems to be an offer on, whether it be money off or 3 for 2, which makes it slightly cheaper. I will also mention that only a small amount is needed so the bottle I have at the moment has lasted me about 5 months so far so it does last a while.

No7 Beautifully Matte foundation in Calico
This is the foundation that replaced the Revlon foundation with two years ago as I had heard it was meant to be really good and mattifying.
Packaging
I'm not actually keen on this packaging as I think it looks cheap. It is a plastic bottle, which you can see through but it is actually white (I don't know quite how to describe it, it is not clear like the previous product, it is white plastic but you can see the foundation through it), so you can see how much product you have left and can sort of see the colour of the product inside. It has a black lid, and also comes with a pump. I do love that it comes with a pump, but I do prefer glass bottles rather than plastic but it is just preference.
Consistency
This foundation is slightly less thick than the Revlon foundation, but isn't runny or watery. I usually apply a couple of pumps to the back of my hand and that gives the exact amount I need. It is very easy to blend with the buffing brush.
Coverage
Again, this is quite a high coverage foundation, but it doesn't seem to provide quite the same amount of coverage as the Revlon foundation.  I don't suffer from acne or blemishes currently but over the past couple of years I did have a few, and while the Revlon foundation covered them easily, this foundation did need a little bit of help from concealer. I would still definitely describe it as high coverage though, or at least medium/high coverage.
This doesn't seem to last as long as the Revlon foundation on me, and does seem to disappear on my nose and chin after about 8 hours of wear so may need touching up (I just take a makeup brush and try to blend the remaining foundation back over my whole face as I think that sometimes applying more foundation can look cakey or overdone). It doesn't mattify my skin for very long, although when used with a setting spray it does last a while longer.
Shade
This is probably the thing that I love the most about No7 products.  If you don't already know, No7 counters offer a free matching service in which they use a camera machine thing (technical term) to match your skin tone to the foundation. This is better than either me just deciding myself whether it matches me, or other makeup counters which just use their eyes to match people as I have been matched badly at some of those.
There is also a wide range of colours from what I can remember, although some of their other products have a wider range of colours.
Price
This is currently £13.50 at Boots which is impressive as the Revlon foundation is slightly more expensive and I had always thought of No7 as being more expensive.  As only one or two pumps are needed, this also does last quite a while although slightly less than the Revlon foundation.

Estee Lauder double wear foundation

I got this foundation as a suggestion from a beauty vlogger who compared it to the Revlon foundation and said it was better so I had to try it!
Packaging
This comes in a glass bottle, and looks very high end. The glass that the bottle is made from is thicker than the Revlon foundation, and feels more sturdy so I am much more relaxed about having this in my bag as I feel like it is less likely to crack.  As it is glass, you can see the colour of the product and how much of the product you have left, which is ideal for me as I always end up running out if I can't see how much is left. This bottle doesn't come with a pump so I have the same problem with pouring it onto the back of my hand, but this is a more thin consistency than the Revlon foundation so it does come out quicker, meaning that I am more likely to pour out more than I need which does waste the product.
Consistency
As I have mentioned, this is a thinner consistency than I am used to.  I still apply it with the buffing brush, but I do find that it takes more blending in than the previous two foundations that I have mentioned. This surprised me as I thought that it would be easier to blend as it is a thinner consistency.  I think this foundation would probably be easier to apply with a beauty blender, but I do not have one yet so I can't say for certain.
Coverage
This is still a medium/ high coverage foundation in my opinion despite being slightly thinner in consistency. It offers a very similar coverage to the Revlon foundation on me, so it does cover up blemishes when needed, and does actually seem to cover the dark circles a little better, although some concealer is still needed.
The reviews that I read before purchasing this foundation stated that it kept skin matte all day, which I didn't find, but it did last about the same length of time as the Revlon foundation and even longer with setting spray. I do, however, find that this seems to disappear more than the Revlon foundation on my nose and chin which is disappointing. However, I do think that it offers a slightly more flawless and natural looking finish than the other two foundations despite needing to be blended in more.
Shade
I got matched by someone at the Estee Lauder counter, and honestly the shade doesn't quite match me like it should. Whether this is because they didn't have a shade that perfectly matched me, or if it was the lighting at the counter, I'm not sure which is why I prefer the no7 match service. You may wonder why I bought it if it didn't quite match but at the time it looked okay, and I did feel pressured into buying it by the sales woman, so I didn't feel like I could go outside and see what it looked like in natural light. I did mention at the time that I would like to try a lighter shade but the sales woman said that it matched me perfectly. Saying that though, I do still wear it as it isn't ridiculously dark only slightly too dark for me so if I blend it really well it doesn't look too bad, and suits me when I am slightly more tanned.
Price
This is quite pricey for me at about £30, especially as it doesn't seem to be too much better than the Revlon foundation. I don't use this as my everyday foundation due to the colour, so I do only use it if I am going out somewhere nice and want a more flawless finish.

Chanel Perfection Lumiere foundation

I got this after watching another beauty vlogger rave about it, she has similar skin to me and she said that it was amazing despite being a medium coverage foundation.
Packaging
Again, I love this packaging. I think better packaging is one of the main things you get when you buy a higher end foundation. It is a glass bottle again, with slightly cloudy glass (I can't remember the actual name of the type of glass) and again it seems thicker than the less expensive foundation bottles. It has a black lid, and comes with a pump which I love! Because it is a glass bottle, you can see the colour of the foundation and how much product there is left like the other three foundations.
Consistency
This is probably the thinnest foundation I have ever used, and I would even say it is more runny than some tinted moisturisers that I have used in the past. As you know by now, I pump the foundation onto the back of my hand before applying to my face, which does become tricky with this foundation as it does tend to spread over my whole hand which can become messy. I also think that this may be another foundation that is better applied with a beauty blender rather than the buffing brush that I use, but it still seems to apply adequately with the brush.
Coverage
As mentioned earlier, this is not a high coverage foundation. It offers slightly less coverage than I am used to so I do only use this when my skin is having a good day, but I do actually love this product anyway. This is probably the only foundation I have ever tried that is more medium coverage, maybe even light coverage, so it is weird that I love it so much, but I do feel that it offers enough coverage for me to be happy with. I have noticed that it tends to cover up any small blemishes that I have while letting the few freckles I have come through so it actually offers the most natural finish of all of the foundations. I do need some extra help with the under eye circles, but surprisingly not as much as I expected.  It feels a lot lighter on the skin, and I prefer this for the summer months.
Shade
I was matched by a lady at the counter again, so again this is ever so slightly darker than the Revlon foundation but not as dark as the Estee Lauder foundation. As I only usually wear this in the summer anyway, the shade is actually perfect! I think there are a lot of shades available, more than the drugstore foundation ranges, and I found that the sales assistant at this counter offered to give a sample of the foundation in the matched colour so you could go away and try it for a few days and if you liked it could go back and buy it which I love.
Price
Again, I think I paid about £30 for it, which is slightly expensive but I genuinely think that it is worth it and good value for money. Despite being runny and medium coverage, I actually use less of this product than the  previous foundations, and because it has a pump I don't waste any of it.  If you have the budget for this I would definitely recommend it, and it smells lovely too (the others don't really have a smell).

I hope you have enjoyed this post, and if you want more posts like this please let me know!




No comments:

Post a Comment