Hi everyone,
I am a new mammy (well mammy to be) and I am blogging about my life, my pregnancy/parenthood and beauty.
Everything I mention has been bought and paid for by myself (or as a present off family members) unless otherwise stated (so probably everything is bought by me ☺) and all opinions are my own.
If you have aren't queries don't hesitate to get in touch via twitter @sprinkleofpixie or email me at pixiedustandfairylove@gmail.com
💖 xxx

Monday 14 September 2015

EmJs first injections

On Thursday, EmJ had her first injections. The nurse started off by giving her some liquid immunisation which she had to swallow,as she decided she was hungry just before we went in, she devoured this without complaint despite it apparently tasting awful!
Hubby held EmJ while she was getting the injections as I can't bear her being in pain! She had 2 injections in her right leg, which she cried with but hubby managed to soothe her quite quickly. But she had the meningitis injection in her left leg and she screamed and went bright red. It was absolutely awful and I have never heard a scream like it!one of the nurses in the room ended up crying too as well as me as it was so heart breaking to watch! Hubby couldn't soothe her after this injection so I cuddled her. We couldn't leave the doctors surgery until she had had some baby paracetamol, which we couldn't give her until she calmed down in case she choked so we had to go back into the waiting room and try to calm her down. She cried for about 10 minutes before we could even attempt to give her the calpol, but once she had it she went to sleep in her pram.
As she was hungry we did try to feed her straightaway so I did wake her up, but she was fine and giggling with us and smiling. 
About 3 hours after she had the injections she started screaming again, and we couldn't give any calpol for another hour so I ended up putting her in her pram and walking around the estate with her. This worked and she went back to sleep but woke up as soon as I went into the house again. She didn't calm down until about an hour after we gave her her second dose of calpol.
She didn't have as much milk as she usually would, which got me worried but she was producing enough nappies so hubby said she was fine.
We gave her her third and final dose of calpol and she went to bed.
It was the worst thing I have been through so far, and I kept trying to check her temperature to make sure her fever didn't get too bad!
She was a bit cranky the day after, but that is to be expected.
On Saturday night I noticed a little rash on her tummy but we couldn't decide if it was a rash or just where she had been sleeping on me. On Sunday morning I noticed that it was a rash and had spread all over her body so we rang the NHS 111 service, who got in touch with the out of hours GP.  He rang us back straightaway and asked us to take EmJ to the out of hours GP in the hospital.
He told us that the rash was caused by a virus, and was either a cold (which I have) or a reaction to the injections as some babies do develop viral symptoms a couple of days later. The treatment for both of these things are the same which is basically nothing,we asked about calpol and he was a bit reluctant for us to give her any but did say we could give her some if her temperature became too high.
He told us she would get diarrhoea, and told us to monitor her wet nappies and how much fluid she was consuming as if either reduced we would have to take her back and she might end up on a drip.
When we got home, she fed a few times on both breasts withing 2 hours, but as I can't see how much milk is coming out I'm not sure how much she actually had but she did have a few more wet nappies.
I tried to take her temperature a few times but she doesn't like the thermometer being under her arm so kept moving. 
I am a bit worried about her becoming dehydrated and us not realising, or her getting a fever :(
She had two diarrhoea nappies which smelt awful, and we had to change her clothes as the first lot came out of the top of her nappy. 
She did take a while to settle, and Saturday night I had to stay up all night because she wouldn't go to sleep anywhere else but on me. She slept a little bit on Sunday, and was laughing and giggling a bit with us but she did keep crying too.  She went to sleep at about 9pm, and slept through. Hubby stayed up till about 2am and I got up then so he could go to bed and I could watch her. I was debating with myself whether to wake her up to try to feed her to make sure she was getting enough milk, but she usually sleeps through now and is fine so I wasn't sure whether that was a good idea as she needed her sleep. I ended up waking her up at 4am as I had to put her in the car at half past to take hubby to work, so I changed and fed her then. Her nappy wasn't as heavy as it normally is but it did have wee in it.
I will keep you updated on her progress.

Has your little one had their injections?were they okay?

Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment