Hi everyone,
I am a new mammy (well mammy to be) and I am blogging about my life, my pregnancy/parenthood and beauty.
Everything I mention has been bought and paid for by myself (or as a present off family members) unless otherwise stated (so probably everything is bought by me ☺) and all opinions are my own.
If you have aren't queries don't hesitate to get in touch via twitter @sprinkleofpixie or email me at pixiedustandfairylove@gmail.com
💖 xxx

Monday 11 January 2016

A&e and hot water

I know that most people reading this will probably judge me as a mother and say that this would never happen to them but tonight I had to take my daughter to a&e because she got hot water on her.
When I feed her I put her bowl into a bowl of hot water,which I did put on the tray of her highchair as I didn't think she could reach it. She put her hand into the hot water and pulled the bowl over, spilling hot water over her legs.
She screamed, I jumped up pulled her trousers off and ran into the kitchen with her to put her under cold running water. While doing this I rang the nhs 111 service (I can't remember the name of the woman I spoke to, I think it was Anne, but I would like to thank her for her amazing service and help. She was lovely and calmed me down while sorting everything out) who told me that the out of hours doctor would ring me and to keep running cold water for between 10-30 minutes, and if she was sick we had to ring back.
Literally as I hung up, baby was sick so we rang straight back and we're told to go to a&e despite there not being any blisters or waxy material, because of her age.
I drove round straightaway and we were seen immediately by a nurse who said that everything looked fine but she wanted a doctor to double check. By this point baby's skin had returned to a normal colour as if nothing had happened.
About an hour later we saw the doctor who agreed baby was fine, and there were no marks on her. I apologised for wasting their time and was reassured that it was the best thing to do as burns on babies can be awful so it is always best to get checked out. He also said that the reason there were no scalding was because of the quickness that I cooled the areas down.  If I had waited the outcome could have been very different.
Although baby is fine (and after the initial shock and crying which only lasted about a minute she was fine and playing) I did get a scare and I know that it was stupid putting the water on her tray. But I genuinely didn't think she could reach it, and I now know that I can't think like that about anything.
I hope none of you judge me for what happened and I know we were very lucky that nothing worse came from this but if this story helps anyone at all then I will be happy.
If nothing else I hope to bring attention to firstly the nhs 111 service, which I hate when I'm working in the lab; but I actually do find it very useful as an actual user. And secondly, to let people know that the quicker you can get a burn or scald to running cold water the better the outcome will be. The longer the area is allowed to be hot, the more likely the underlying area is to become exposed to latent heat which is where the burns come from. Every second counts.

Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment